• 1 Post By Allymcmurdo5

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 04-04-2015, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thumbs down Heated Grips

Hi, Just thought I would warn anyone who wants to try & fit heated grips to the J300, i have fitted quite a few to different bikes I have had over the years but have found to my cost that the R/H (throttle) grip is actually part of the throttle control tube on the J300 - so a heated grip cannot be fitted on that side!!
post #2 of 10 Old 04-06-2015, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Oh! Thanks for the heads-up.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-01-2016, 11:13 AM
R35

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Solution for J300/J125 - Heated Overgrips

Instead of installing heated grips which we now know is not an optiion on the J300 or J125 simply install heated overgrips. No dismantling necessary and the grips can easily be removed in spring for re-attaching in autumn.

Oxford Hot Hands Overgrips OF694, full retail is about 70 (in UK) but can be easily found online for less than 50. They are like small hand-sized blankets which go around the grip and close with velcro. No problem with hand grip though it does make the grip slightly fatter. There is a wiring loom from each overgrip going to the small on-off switch which I attached with thin cable-straps to the stalk of the rear-view mirror. You then need to connect the power cable to the battery though the electrically-competent owner might attach a cigarette lighter-type attachment to the wiring so it plugs into the socket in the compartment. I used strips of velcro to run the wiring along the console and under the seat and keep the wiring neat and in place, and an extension wire to ensure it could reach the battery at the back of the bike under the seat, just in front of the tail-light. The cabling comes with battery attachments so it is an easy task to attach them to the battery. But, you must remember to make sure the on-off control to the overgrips is always off when you switch off the engine otherwise it will continue to draw power and leave you with a flat battery. The on-off switch has a small green light which illuminates when it is on. There is no thermostatic controller or pre-set heat levels, only on or off, but the overgrips work really well and warm up quickly especially when the bike is in motion and revs are running. You just switch the overgrips off when your hands are warm, and on again when you want it. I've been using them for a couple of months and I absolutely love them, and at a reasonable price they are a great way to have warm hands on cold days and now I happily use my J300 in the winter when previously I used to garage my old Suzuki 600 between December and late March.
trigg123 and Scooter Commuter like this.

post #4 of 10 Old 10-03-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Apologies for resurrecting an old thread but it is possible to install heated grips on the J300, it just takes a little more work. The grip is indeed moulded on to the throttle tube but this is very common in the dirt/motocross bike world. You need a very sharp Stanley knife blade basically trim the rubber away from the grip until you reach the plastic throttle tube. It takes about and hour to do it carefully.
Once you just have bare tube remaining, you can fit the grip in the conventional manner.
One more point to note is the harness supplied with Oxford hot grips is too short to reach the batter at the rear of the J300 so it will need extending.
The mirror mount seems to work quite well for the heat controller.

http://a68.tinypic.com/15n1zqb.jpg

Last edited by Allymcmurdo5; 10-03-2018 at 01:07 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-17-2018, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Interesting post as I would like to fit a pair myself, how did you find installing the wiring within the bodywork?

Regards
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R35 View Post
Instead of installing heated grips which we now know is not an optiion on the J300 or J125 simply install heated overgrips. No dismantling necessary and the grips can easily be removed in spring for re-attaching in autumn.

Oxford Hot Hands Overgrips OF694,..... [znip!]

You then need to connect the power cable to the battery though the electrically-competent owner might attach a cigarette lighter-type attachment to the wiring so it plugs into the socket in the compartment. I used strips of velcro to run the wiring along the console and under the seat and keep the wiring neat and in place, and an extension wire to ensure it could reach the battery at the back of the bike under the seat, just in front of the tail-light.
[znip!]
Thanks R35, I've found these too and bought a set. I did an attempt to use the socket in the compartment but it does not produce any (or perhaps does not produce enough?) power. The owner's manual also says that this socket should only be used to charge mobile phones, and that "use of other appliance may cause damage".

(A strange thing is that I at first got voltage from the socket, using only some wiring and a mesuring with voltmeter. When I later attached the Hot Hands the socket didn't produce any power (voltage) any longer. Perhaps I ruined something, when attaching a device demanding more power than a mobil phone? Blew a fuse or so? I don't really know. I haven't studied physics since I was 16. And I'm not 16 any more... ; ) )

So then I tried to attach the wiring to the batttery, as suggested in your post. But it is difficult to get the wiring clean and well-working without making damage to the plastic parts of the scooter. How did you get into the under seat compartment without cuttin or drilling holes? And then further into the battery compartment? I very curious to know.

Have you got any, or can your produce any, photos of this please?

Photos of the wiring from the handlebars to the battery, and photos from the attachment you did at the front end and "the stalk of the rear-view mirror". You seem to have found a well-functioning solution!

Many thanks in advance!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 05:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allymcmurdo5 View Post
[znip!]

One more point to note is the harness supplied with Oxford hot grips is too short to reach the batter at the rear of the J300 so it will need extending.
[znip]
Thanks, Allymcmurdo5. Where did you connect the wiring to get electrical power? At the front end of the scooter? (Any photos?)

Or did you connect directly to the battery? How did you get into the under seat compartment without cuttin or drilling holes? And then further into the battery compartment?

Thanks in advance!
post #8 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 05:30 AM

I ran the harness straight through to the battery along the route of the main loom which runs along the frame down the right hand side (as you sit on it).
The under seat storage bin needs to be removed but it’s just bolts/nuts.. I think there are 6 of them. All are visible for removal. Wish I’d taken step by step photos now.
Scooter Commuter likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 10:44 AM

Garage
Aha... Under the seat storage bin! Good thinking, I'll try that! Thanks!
post #10 of 10 Old 11-17-2018, 03:30 PM

Oh you'll need to removed the seat first too. Two bolts for the hydraulic lifter, two for the hinge.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page