User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-18-2014, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Screens

Really think I want a taller screen. After 3yrs on a SYM 250 GTS, and an open face lid, I'm fed up swallowing flys again. Apart from the Givi option (bit expensive), does anyone know of an alternative? I've seen a few bolt on extenders but I've no experience of them.
post #2 of 16 Old 06-25-2014, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
haven't looked around for any but maybe looking for one on ebay might turn up some good options for you.

post #3 of 16 Old 07-06-2014, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Well worth it

Bought a clear Givi screen on ebay for 100. Great decision. I liked the look of the original but it directed flies and road debris right to your face. The Givi is much taller (around eyebrow level for me) and apart from aleviating the battering, it has eliminated all the wind noise as well. It seems to actually pull you slightly forward and my open face helmet with a peak isn't trying to pull my head off anymore. Not been out in the rain yet but I'll bet it works perfectly. Still looks cool too.

post #4 of 16 Old 07-31-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Potter View Post
Bought a clear Givi screen on ebay for 100. Great decision. I liked the look of the original but it directed flies and road debris right to your face. The Givi is much taller (around eyebrow level for me) and apart from aleviating the battering, it has eliminated all the wind noise as well. It seems to actually pull you slightly forward and my open face helmet with a peak isn't trying to pull my head off anymore. Not been out in the rain yet but I'll bet it works perfectly. Still looks cool too.
@Martin Potter good to hear thanks for sharing!

post #5 of 16 Old 08-01-2014, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Screen results

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
@Martin Potter good to hear thanks for sharing!
Had GIVI on now for three weeks. No longer need my flip down visor. Ride open faced with or without sunnies and its great. I'm 5ft 10ins, short legs long body, and i can duck slightly and see clearly through the screen. Equally can look up and over if I want to.

Performance. Before fitting I was running in so I didn't use the whip, but saw indicated 80mph without any bother. (I'm 22st btw) Now, run in and serviced, I feel I'm peaking at indicated 80, BUT, whereas before I was buffeted and felt I was caning it, I'm now being sucked forward (in a nice way) and it's much more leisurely. Touring at 70 is lovely where as before it was like being in a race. Also peaked helmet no longer ripping my head off as it rotates backwards.

Now I'm used to it - loving the look too.

MPG? got 78 running in, then 70ish. (Where i live is all hills). Now around 65, which is say 7-8% less. When I do a longer run I'll post results.

Verdict...If you like scratching and flies in your teeth, don't change. If you're not Shakey Byrne and like to smile at the pedestrians as you cruise by, GIVI it is.
post #6 of 16 Old 08-04-2014, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Someone I know of has apparently seen mid-90s mph on the speedo of a J300 without hitting the limiter. Obviously I told him that this was extremely irresponsible behaviour but I thought I would share his findings purely for academic interest.

Personally I don't find cruising at motorway speeds a problem with the standard screen but then I am a couple of inches shorter than you.

I don't like the draft I get up my leg though, this is much worse than the Satelis I had before. But then that did have the lower wind deflectors fitted. I wonder if there will everbe anything offered for the Kymasaki?

No ABS = No sale!
post #7 of 16 Old 08-13-2014, 07:20 PM

Interesting, definitely not a good idea to go that fast as it can be dangerous, but good to know someone was able to get it up to that speed.

post #8 of 16 Old 09-01-2014, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

(Thread Starter)
Givi Screen

Ahh... Just found the only significant drawback so far with the (taller) Givi screen. In the dry, the airflow pulls you forward slightly into the screen - which is great. When riding in the rain however, this airflow effect pulls the rain off your helmet at the front and deposits in your lap. Or to be more precise - in your crotch. Found myself having to explain to friends that I hadn't peed myself, which caused much amusement. Lesson learned - when riding in the rain in shorts, wear dark colours - or carry a change of clothes.

(Where's the summer gone?)
post #9 of 16 Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 AM

GIVI screen meets MRA X Creen...

After riding almost 2000 kilometres with the larger GIVI screen I noticed that there was still some annoying turbulence around my helmet at highway speeds.
The solution: the MRA X Creen touring flip up windshield mounted on top of the GIVI... No more turbulence! I still can look over the shield but no more noise and turbulence. I ordered the 'no-drill package' in case I didn't like the shield but it is great for me since I'm tall (1m93) It's not cheap (80 euros for a single piece of plastic) but it's worth it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (145.2 KB, 63 views)
post #10 of 16 Old 04-12-2016, 05:37 AM

G'day

I need a screen which is taller than the OEM item but the Givi is too tall (I'm a mighty 5'6") which means I'd have to look thro' it - been there, done that, never again! Ideally I'd like a screen which sits about an inch (2.5cm) below nose level and about 14 inches in front of it.
I've been looking at the Powerbronze website and they have 2 candidates at different heights but it's difficult to see exactly how high they are. Does anyone have one? Whci one would you recommend? How much higher than stock is the shorter one? What's the fit/quality like?

Does anyone know if the OEM Kymco screen fits directly on the J300? - Looking at the Kymco brochure, their screen looks a tad taller. Alternatively, can anyone suggest any alternatives?
cheers
Baldrick

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page